Sunday 8 February 2009

Pravasi Bharati

For someone who's spent a large chunk of his chilhood, teenage and now, adult life in the GCC, I cannot, for the life of me, understand why people like moving here.Especially us, Indians. I can easily broaden that and say Asians.

I mean, for white folks, this place is paradise. I don't mean that badly, but its just the way it is. They get cushy jobs in construction or marketing or hotels(nothing lower than assistant manager), everything is paid for- housing, cars, telephone, childrens' education, travel and everything but your own groceries. Actually, I wouldn't be suprised if these dermatologically 'blessed' species actually run to their secrataries with their Spinney's bills, that run into thousands of dirhams and re-claim them as 'Team Building' expenses.

They have fantastic social lives, thanks to their culture, affinity for partying, burgeoning bank balances and cost-free lives, as illustrated above. Most people you'll see at bars, nightclubs and fine restaurants are white. We all live with the advantage of not having to pay taxes on our incomes, true, but the difference lies in the positions and salaries that people from the western world receive.

They can be rude, incompetent, inexperienced, dull, and have worked only in their neighbourhood supermarket, but when they come to DXB, with their resumes all spruced up, some nicely cut suits and a couple of well rehearsed one-liners, they look for positions such as Director of Purchasing and Distribution or Area Manager for Retail operations. And they get them. But, reporting directly to these Area Directors and Managers are inconspicuous little Asians- an Indian or a Sri Lankan or Filipino, who's actually doing the work. These underlings are actually doing the work of an Area Director and getting paid a 5th of Ms. Tabitha Smith's monthly loot. Not to compare, or complain, but it seems a little unfair.
But, at the same time, I see why a lot of the people in question are in positions of power and money. They're professional and know how to draw a line between their professional and personal lives; they adhere to time and if they can't, are simply programmed to sms or e-mail in and tell the people concerned that they will be a little late or that they might have to cancel. More often than not, they'll party into the early mornings and still turn up for work on time, or if they don't, they'll admit that they had a drink too many the night before and promise for it not to happen again.
We must remember that this is a very general opinion and that I don't mean to offend anyone. But, if you'll look deep inside and be honest to yourselves, you'll slowly find yourself agreeing with me.
So, back to Pravasi Bharati. We, here are second citizens not entitled to a lot of things. If we hold a driving license, for E.g from another GCC country, like Qatar, or Oman or Bahrain, it is mandatory for us to go through driving classes (20 at least @ 120 AED per class) and then for the test; while for a European, American or Australian, they just have to pay a nominal fee, get an NOC from their employers and have it converted!!
I dont' see the logic in this because we drive on the same side of the road in all GCC countries, but in some countries in Europe, like the UK for example, they drive on the left side of the road, while we drive on the right side here. How does it make sense to offer licenses over the counter to people who've been driving on the left side of the road for half their lives and suddenly have found this Oasis where they get everything just on the basis of their passports?!
I guess its all political. But the fact remains that its unfair and illogical.
I think I've lost the plot, here..I meant to write about something else, so I'll just stop for now.

3 comments:

Sandhya Menon said...

Heyya,

Lots of pertinent things you say. A lot of the stuff that everyone cribs about. Must be insulting to be at the receiving end of that no? But to answer a question that you asked when you started out i.e. why do asians go to the gelf? Because we can save more. I will not say earn because just before this shitty recession hit, you could earn as much or more but the saving didn't happen. To some of us, spending less that water on fuel means a huge glitzy "Rafina Manzil" in Cherplassery.

But I hear your outrage. I was going through some job listings and I saw a position for assitant director (with a monthly salary of 4000 USD) Qualification? HIgh school diploma. Requirement? UK, Europe or US National.

Well written, CofC. Just mind the commas after the 'buts'. Look up online on where a comma is necessary after a but or head to me a for a nominal-fee tutorial. Oh, it's free if you're white.

CognitiveLocomotive a.k.a Thought Engine said...

Thanks GG..great feedback.

I started of wanting to write something else and a lot of it didn't come out the way I wanted it to, but,(just kidding-no comma) what the hell..it was just raw and unprocessed..

I'm gonna read some of yours and make YOU feel like you're not as good as you thought you were as well!!

;o)

Anonymous said...

Ah! But therein lies the rub, my friend. Nowhere do I implicate your content or disapprove of it. Nor do I set out to, as you say, make you feel you aren't as good as you think are.

Incorrect punctuation just irritates me.

Besides, as you will notice, I write for myself :) So try as you might, I won't quite feel what you try to make me feel :)